RSS IconRSS Print IconPrint Text Size Plus icon Minus icon

The word “important” is stamped on a folder


Important Documents

You’ll need to fill out some documents to get some important cards that should be carried with you when you live in Northumberland :

Your SIN Card

  • You need to get a SIN card before you can work.
  • Your SIN card has nine-digit number to identify you to the government.
  • SIN stands for “Social Insurance Number”.
  • It is a plastic card that should not be shown to anyone other than government agencies, employers who hire you, and some other authorized organizations.
  • Do not put your SIN number in a resume.

To apply for your SIN Card fill out a form at Service Canada.

You can also go to this local Service Canada Office:
1005 Elgin Street, Suite 103
Cobourg, ON K9A 5J4
Phone: (905) 372-3326 or 1-800-206-7218

Your Health Card

For more information on how to apply for your OHIP Card visit the Ontario of Ministry of Health and Long-time Care website.

Your PR Card

  • The “Permanent Resident” (PR) card is proof that you have approval to live in Canada.
  • If you have gone through the immigration process with the government, you will receive this card by mail without having to apply for it.
  • Permanent residents of Canada seeking to re-enter Canada on an airplane, boat, train or bus use this plastic card.
  • If you leave the country, you are expected to have this card when returning to Canada.
  • Immigration documents, such as the PR Card, have an expiry date. You are responsible for keeping your status valid. It is also important to keep track of all your entries to and exits from Canada. You need to report the number of days that you have been absent in Canada when you renew your PR Card or apply for Canadian citizenship.

Visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website to apply, renew or replace your PR card.

Your Driver’s Licence

You will need to get an Ontario driver’s licence if you want to drive a car here. First, you will have to pass a driver’s test. To schedule your driver’s test visit the Drive Test website.

How it Works

  • You must be at least 16 years old and have a valid Ontario driver’s licence to drive in Ontario.
  • Ontario’s licencing system has two levels: level 1 or class G1, and level 2 or class G2.
  • If you have not driven before, you will need to complete one year of supervised driving before you can take the first level road test (G2 road test).
  • Once you pass the first level G2 road test, you will get a "G2" licence.
  • You will be required to practice driving for one full year after obtaining your "G2" licence before you qualify for the second level road test (G road test).
  • Passing the second level road test (G road test) will earn you a full "G" licence.

Have A Licence From Your Home Country?

If you have a driver's licence from another country, you are required to apply for an Ontario driver's licence within 60 days of living in Ontario. If you have a non-Ontario licence, you are legally allowed to drive in Ontario for 60 days before an exchange is required.

If you come from a country that has a reciprocal agreement with Canada (Australia, Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Great Britain, Japan, Korea, Switzerland, United States), you can simply exchange your licence for an Ontario license. You must have valid identification documents and a valid licence.

Credit for Driving Experience

Credit for past driving experience only counts for class G licences. It does not apply to commercial licences. You will still be required to complete a vision test and pass the knowledge test. You may want to get a copy of the Driver’s Handbook to study for the knowledge test. 

For proof of your past driving experience you will need:

  • Original letter from the original licensing agency (such as the ministry of transportation in your country or state).
  • If the letter is not in English or French, you must also have a certified translation. The translation must either be from your country’s Embassy, Consulate, or High Commission, or belong to the Association of Translators and Interpreters of Ontario.
  • The letter must say when you got your first licence, when your current licence expires, what type of licence it is (for example, car or truck), and that the licence is valid.

For more information visit the Drive Test Out of County Drivers page.